Support Portal

for ProcessRobot and WinAutomation

Start a new topic

Dynamic search for custom object property

If I convert JSON to a custom object, I can access the custom object's properties only if I explicitly call them. e.g. When I iterate through the elements of custom object, I need to specify %CurrentItem.propertyname%. However, if the property names are set in a list and I try to use %CurrentItem.list[0]%, WA throws an error, "List is not a valid field". It will be nice to have this feature of accessing the custom object's property values dynamically, with WA just throwing this error if a illegal name was indeed passed.

ADMIN

Hello Sumit,

Please note that in case the property of a Custom Object is of type "list", then you should be able to access the list items like you mention.

For example, please try to convert the following JSON text to a custom object, using the "Convert Json to Custom Object" Action.

{
  "Name": [
    "John",
    "Jason",
    "Helen"
  ],
  "Surname": "Smith",
  "Department": "Accounting"
}

You will notice that the Names can be accessed by their indexes.

Thanks Peter for responding. That part does work, but I was referring to dynamic variable name at run time. In your example, it will work if I say %CurrentItem.Name[0]%. However, let's say I want to access the values of Surname and Department and I have a list [List] with these two keys.So

List[0] = Surname

List[1] = Department

Now if I try to access it with %CurrentItem.List[0]%, it will not work. It will only work if I specify %CurrentItem.Surname%. We have a requirement where the key-value pair in the JSON are constantly changing. So we wanted to specify the "keys" we want to access in a comma separated txt file so that we can read these at run time into a list and then access it using %CurrentItem.List[0]%.

Login or Signup to post a comment