Support Portal

for ProcessRobot and WinAutomation

Start a new topic
Answered

How to capture the link shows in Linked search result

Hello,

LinkedIn doesn't export my connections' contact info which is what I want to retrieve using WinAutomation.

The question here is how do I mock up the following steps:

1. Open http://linkedin.com, don't even need to fill in the user name and password because I will be automatically logged in.

2. Once in the LinkedIn, on the left top there is a search box;

3. I then will need to paste my contact's name in it, I have already generated a clean list of my contacts, so it is ready to go

4. As long as I paste in a name in the search box, that same page will show a list of profiles, as the name is from my contact, so it is always the first one to select. I need a way to capture the very first name shows up in the list.

The screenshot below shows the contact's profile link when I paste in the contact's name, what I need is how to click and open the profile?

I hope my question is clear, you should be able to check it out with your own LinkedIn account.

This is a showstopper to me now, can anyone help please?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best Answer

In LinkedIn you can proceed similar to this:

Launch New Chrome action and navigate to https://www.linkedin.com

Populate Text Field on Web Page (Add control for the Search Field - here you may need to edit the Captured Control and make it more general in order to work consistently when reloading/reopening the website)

At this point you may notice that LinkedIn previews the results dynamically as you type the contacts name (these results may differ sometimes from the actual results that display once you press Search)

Option 1:

• The easy way would be to Press Search (Click Link Action) or Send an Enter key (Send Keys Action) and use Extract Data from Webpage action and specify to always retrieve the "text" of first result.

In case you require to retrieve the Dynamic results that appear after you type the name and before you press search then you will need to capture the results with OCR actions since these are not website elements as below.

Option 2: To do this you would need to add these actions after you populate the Contact's Name (and do not Click on Search):

Create Tesseract OCR Engine (you may need to increase "Image Width" & "Height" Multipliers in order to increase accuracy of retrieved text)

Extract Text with OCR (Search Mode: Specific subregion only, and Select the subregion right of the Contact's Image where the first Name appears)

Parse Text action check is Regular Expression option to get only the First Name and Last Name (any Letter Character followed by a space and any Letter Character until the next Space)

(Note that OCR Captures the entire text found on the specified region, so you'll need to retrieve the First and Last Name only - you may find the regular expression in the highlighted area of the attached image)

You may find an example in the screenshots attached.

1 Comment

ADMIN
Answer

In LinkedIn you can proceed similar to this:

Launch New Chrome action and navigate to https://www.linkedin.com

Populate Text Field on Web Page (Add control for the Search Field - here you may need to edit the Captured Control and make it more general in order to work consistently when reloading/reopening the website)

At this point you may notice that LinkedIn previews the results dynamically as you type the contacts name (these results may differ sometimes from the actual results that display once you press Search)

Option 1:

• The easy way would be to Press Search (Click Link Action) or Send an Enter key (Send Keys Action) and use Extract Data from Webpage action and specify to always retrieve the "text" of first result.

In case you require to retrieve the Dynamic results that appear after you type the name and before you press search then you will need to capture the results with OCR actions since these are not website elements as below.

Option 2: To do this you would need to add these actions after you populate the Contact's Name (and do not Click on Search):

Create Tesseract OCR Engine (you may need to increase "Image Width" & "Height" Multipliers in order to increase accuracy of retrieved text)

Extract Text with OCR (Search Mode: Specific subregion only, and Select the subregion right of the Contact's Image where the first Name appears)

Parse Text action check is Regular Expression option to get only the First Name and Last Name (any Letter Character followed by a space and any Letter Character until the next Space)

(Note that OCR Captures the entire text found on the specified region, so you'll need to retrieve the First and Last Name only - you may find the regular expression in the highlighted area of the attached image)

You may find an example in the screenshots attached.

Login or Signup to post a comment