Support Portal

for ProcessRobot and WinAutomation

Start a new topic
Answered

Wildcard characters in the launch excel action.

I want to open an excel file with name "Report Month-Year"  located in a path that is variable.

I tried the following syntax in the launch excel action -

document path field: %New_Fold_Year_Month%\Report*.xlsx

but the asterisk is not working. 

I know that i can retrieve the files within that folder by using a "get files" action, but I wonder if there is a solution via the wildcard characters in the launch excel action.

Thanks

Best Answer

Hi Vaso,

Unfortunately wildcards in the Launch Excel Action will not work (since the action would still be missing the information of which of the possible files matching the rule to actually open). 

The way to do this would be to use the Get Files in Folder (optionally matching the File Filter eg. *.xls, *xlsx, etc.) and then either loop the matches directly, or parse each of the results and keep only the ones matching a particular regular expression (Parse Text Action) and a regular expression similar to: Report\s[0-9]+[-][0-9]+[-][0-9]{4}(.xlsx|.xls)

ADMIN
Answer

Hi Vaso,

Unfortunately wildcards in the Launch Excel Action will not work (since the action would still be missing the information of which of the possible files matching the rule to actually open). 

The way to do this would be to use the Get Files in Folder (optionally matching the File Filter eg. *.xls, *xlsx, etc.) and then either loop the matches directly, or parse each of the results and keep only the ones matching a particular regular expression (Parse Text Action) and a regular expression similar to: Report\s[0-9]+[-][0-9]+[-][0-9]{4}(.xlsx|.xls)

Thanks for your answer & for your time.

ADMIN

You are most welcome Vaso. I'm glad I could help!

Login or Signup to post a comment