Support Portal

for ProcessRobot and WinAutomation

Start a new topic
Answered

MODI OCR not working

HI,

I tried to extrcact text from PDF with OCR and I wanted to use MODI OCR engine.

I used install method 1, as described here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/982760/install-modi-for-use-with-microsoft-office-2010

But whenever I try to use the engine it says
Runtime Error: Failed to activate MODI component in code (has MODI been properly installed?). 

What am I doing wrong?

Thx.

Roman

Best Answer

Hello again Roman,

You are correct, method 1 unfortunately no longer works (probably since MODI has been discontinued in newer MS Office versions; even the link from Microsoft's website is no longer available). I can confirm however, that it still works by downloading the Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2007 and installing by following the steps of Method 2 as described in this guide Install MODI (Don't forget to  start the Microsoft Office Document Imaging application at the bottom of the page).

MODI OCR should now work as expected.

Hi Roman,

The first method didn't work for me either. But the second (Method 2: Install MODI by installing SharePoint Designer 2007) one has already worked :)

I tried the second method as well, but the link leads to page where no download is available anymore :(

ADMIN

Could you try downloading the MDI to TIFF File Converter, from this Microsoft website? This link should be working; I've just tested it and downloaded the installer:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30328

Yes, that's exactly where I downloaded the installer. Installation seemed succesfull. The DLL and EXE files are where they should be, but extracting from PDF with OCR still crashes,

ADMIN
Answer

Hello again Roman,

You are correct, method 1 unfortunately no longer works (probably since MODI has been discontinued in newer MS Office versions; even the link from Microsoft's website is no longer available). I can confirm however, that it still works by downloading the Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2007 and installing by following the steps of Method 2 as described in this guide Install MODI (Don't forget to  start the Microsoft Office Document Imaging application at the bottom of the page).

MODI OCR should now work as expected.

Login or Signup to post a comment