Support Portal

for ProcessRobot and WinAutomation

Start a new topic
Implemented

Connection String validation on install

Hi y'all,

I tried searching for this, but didn't find an earlier topic. 

It would be so nice, if the connection string gets validated once the string is entered, either with a "Validate" button, or just as the next step in the installation. We have had clients with an "bad" connection string, and it's when the installation is complete, that we find out, which can be annoying.

Kind regards

Laasi

ADMIN

Hello Laasi, the ProcessRobot 2019 full setup file contains the steps for either setting up a new SQL Server and Database or use the existing one. Please refer to the following ProcessRobot manual topic: https://softomotive.com/processrobot_manual/manual/installing-sql-server-express.html. In case you don't have access to the aforementioned setup file, please feel free to get in contact with your account manager to provide you with the download link.

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. 

I wasn't aware, that you could choose an existing database with the SQL version of the ProcessRobot installer. But the instructions should also mention, that you have to click on "Test Connection...", before you can choose an existing Database Name, but first time you click on it, it shows the green check mark. But you have to remember to choose the Database Name from the dropdown, and then click "Test Connection..." again, to have the right connection string..

Kind regards

Laasi

ADMIN

That is true Lassi, however, to my knowledge, the 'Test Connection' procedure will only verify that the Data Source (the specified SQL Server) is accessible and the credentials are correct. It doesn't check if the Initial Catalog (Database) value points to the ProcessRobot Database. That check is performed during the installation at the moment that the 'DatabaseUpgrader.exe' is making the required adjustments (if applicable) on the ProcessRobot database.

Login or Signup to post a comment