Support Portal

for ProcessRobot and WinAutomation

Start a new topic
Answered

Starting and Manipulating Chrome in Incognito Mode

As the title says, I'm trying to open an  incognito in Chrome and don't know how to do this.

According to this thread it should be possible to activate the extension in Chrome, so I assume that means it should work in incognito mode (and yes, I made sure to allow the extension in incognito mode):

https://support.softomotive.com/support/solutions/articles/35000050884-configure-chrome-firefox-for-web-automation

So far, I've tried opening a new Chrome window in incognito mode with the "run application" action. This works, however it won't recognize it as a browser instance afterwards.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Hello Lon Don, 

Regarding your inquiry, kindly note that you can launch an incognito Chrome by using the Run Application action and set it to run chrome.exe with a command line argument -incognito (see screenshot below).

In order to store the Browser instance in a variable after launching it, you will have to use the Launch New Chrome action and set it to Attach to Running Chrome by Title and add the name of that the incognito browser is getting launched (see screenshot below).

ADMIN
Answer

Hello Lon Don, 

Regarding your inquiry, kindly note that you can launch an incognito Chrome by using the Run Application action and set it to run chrome.exe with a command line argument -incognito (see screenshot below).

In order to store the Browser instance in a variable after launching it, you will have to use the Launch New Chrome action and set it to Attach to Running Chrome by Title and add the name of that the incognito browser is getting launched (see screenshot below).

1 person likes this

Great! Thanks a lot for your help.

I have followed these instructions exactly as in the screen shots above, but believe I am confused on what needs to be entered in the "Tab Title" field of the Launch New Chrome action.  Since my Launch action occurs immediately after the Run Application (chrome.exe - incognito), the only tab is "New Tab". 

If I enter 'New Tab' or 'newtab' as text, or assign the text to a var and select it, I still get this error message...

• Runtime Error: Failed to assume control of Chrome (Are you sure the given title 'New Tab' is a valid title?)

I have enabled the extension to run in incognito mode as well. Any ideas?  How did you setup the Tab Title selection? It is blank above so it is not clear.  Thanks!

With me it worked by just entering "new tab" (without quotes). Never had a problem with it since trying it out..

"new tab" (without quotes) not working. Any help ?

ADMIN

Hello Nguyen,

Please enter your Incognito Tab title name as shown below.

May be your title name can differ. That can cause the error. 

I hope it helps.

Hi Murali,

Thanks for your response.

I tried "New Tab" but it still show the error .

Runtime Error: Failed to assume control of Chrome (Are you sure the given title 'New Tab' is a valid title?

Login or Signup to post a comment